First vacation rental TUPs (temporary use permits)

  • Posted on: 24 July 2015
  • By: Michael Brydon
Board date: 
Thursday, July 16, 2015

The first vacation rental permits have worked their way through the system.  If you look at these applications carefully you will see that the Penticton Indian Band (PIB) chose not to comment (or more precisely, they sent an invoice for their comments).  This is the issue: The RDOS charges an application fee for all of its permits.  These fees are meant to cover the full cost (including overhead) of processing the permit.  When we send a permit application out for comment to external referral agencies (such as Interior Health or the Ministry of the Environment) we assume they will provide comments free of charge (as part of their job).  But the taxpayers for IHA, the Government of BC, and the RDOS overlap.  The situation for the PIB is that they get many referrals (which may require significant staff time) but do not share the same tax base as the RDOS.  As such, they are requesting that part of the application fee be passed on to them.

It is hard to argue with this.  We have a user pay philosophy for permits at the RDOS and the PIB also expects to have its costs covered.  We will have to change our permit fees to reflect this new cost.  In other words, any permit application that involves PIB input will be more expensive (say + $500).  Just a heads-up on this.